Thursday, September 23, 2010

Rehearsal

I met David today and after a long exploration, we began some duet choreography. I am building 'loops' of motion that return to a starting point and can be repeated several times- I think I want 5 loops.  This duet would occur either at the top or the bottom of the staircase. It uses some contact and some cause/effect style of movements. (I am thinking of Eryn for the part I am doing)

We also have been working on building "ma". This is a zen term to describe the sense of nothingness and space that proceeds any movement, and causes us to be more subtle and clear in our choices, instead of flowing indefinitely. David's personal vocabulary is very interesting with his combination of line, strength, and martial arts training that allows him to do some very extreme lunges and hand gestures. He should be a fine candidate for falling slow motion down the stairs.

We discussed the falling down the stairs in terms of a man coming undone, perhaps going insane, or even committing suicide. I like the 'suit' as a uniform that reflects internal dishevelment as it gets messed up. David wondered if the duet somehow continues down the stairs.

We also worked with Shawn's soundtrack to last week's performance, "Tuurv", and it is revealing to work with. Shawn's sounds and imagery are very dark and mechanical, but overall, it really breathes and allows for dancing. He will create something new for this, but it good to enter his head space now in studio. I do not know exactly how Shawn and Michelle will work together, but I trust them both to find something new and rich.

Ernest dropped in just to check our process out and he will be photographing next week.
I am also planning to get the legs and tire dress into the space soon...

2 comments:

  1. It's so nice to read your process Gerry! I found a Neruda quote that matches the fall down the stairs, particularly as executed by David:

    "Death arrives among all that sound
    like a shoe with no foot in it, like a suit with no man in it,
    comes and knocks, using a ring with no stone in it, with no finger in it,
    comes and shouts with no mouth, with no tongue, with no throat.
    Nevertheless its steps can be heard
    and its clothing makes a hushed sound, like a tree."

    oooooooooooooooooh! Apt, no? I suppose it reminds me of deflation and gravity...and suits of course.

    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Eryn! The quote gives me shivers!

    ReplyDelete